Monday, December 28, 2009

Dooley - Finebaum

Did anybody see that notorious gator hator and Alabama columnist Paul Finebaum was on EPSN today side by side with our own Pat Dooley and apparently compared Meyer to Tiger Woods and made other comments like, "if you are a recruit you have to be crazy to go to Florida" and "the program is in shambles" etc. Basically he was lambasting Meyer and constantly taking shots at him...allegedly (not on ESPN but on his own radio show) he also said that Saban ran Meyer out of college football with the beatdown he gave him.

The worst part about the ESPN interview though, is that instead of Pat Dooley standing up for Urban and the Gators the word is he largely agreed with Finebaum and said that we would lose a ton of recruits and not have a top 10 recruiting class. HOW CAN DOOLEY STAND THERE LIKE A DUNCE WHILE THIS CLOWN WHO HAS HAD AN AGENDA AGAINST THE GATORS AND MEYER SPECIFICALLY SLANDERS HIS NAME? He is supposed to be there to counterbalance the radical anti-gator Finebaum and instead he sits there nodding in agreement and doesn't come back at him? I haven't yet seen the video but the message boards are all up in arms about this and many people are cancelling their subscription to the Gainesville Sun as we speak.

Wake up Dooley, for god's sake man show some backbone.

3 comments:

JEWBOY said...

I hate this as much as the next guy, but you have to admit this is horrible. At first I felt disappointed when I heard the news, but said to myself "I understand if it's for health and family reasons". Even got to the point where I was comfortable with it and started to think of new head coaches. But now he is stating this leave of absence sh*t and it is just plain ridiculous. He informs his "family", after he makes up his "own" mind, I am not stepping down instead I am taking a leave of absence.

Dude gets paid 4 million dollars a year, preaches family family family and now has the nerve to sit back and basically says "I will return, when I return". This whole move puts the whole program in limbo. And why announce this before the Sugar Bowl? Isn't he concerned about how this will effect his team/family?

The recruiting in this town is CUT THROAT! Saban, Shannon, Miles etc. Sh*t or get off the pot Urban. I appreciate all that he has done, but seriously, Steve "teabag" Addazio? If I am a recruit, I don't think I am putting all my hopes and dreams on a coach that might be back at some point and I certainly am not putting them into the hands of Steve "I like to blow goats instead of calling proper offensive plays" Addazio. I mean did you see Addazio in that press conference? He came off and looked like a guy who schemed his way to the top of some corporation. As if he was saying to himself "I can't believe I am in the driver seat, ha ha ha".

No one person is bigger then this program. This university who has given him and his family so much, DOES NOT DESERVE THIS.

Go Recruit
or
Go Quit

Go Gators

JB

Leaf said...

I saw this and have read a number of other opinions from rival papers that claim the same thing. Dooley sucks, I stopped reading him ten years ago while I was still in Gville. But, sensationalism sells and that is all they are doing. Being over the top to get readers.

I am an optimistic fan and dont think this is as a big deal as many are making it. I wish this whole situation never became public but now that it has all we can do is damage control.

My guess, we lose no more than a handful of commits. I doubt its anymore than your normal signing day switches. And I still think we will get a few more to keep a top 5 class.

Wall Street Gator said...

Well, here is the response from Dooley...at least he apologized and admitted he was wrong:

Finebaum fiasco
by Pat Dooley

I have been receiving a lot of e-mails about my appearance on “Outside the Lines” on ESPN Monday and feel I owe the readers a little bit of insight to the situation.

Paul Finebaum, who was doing his segment in Birmingham, made a ridiculous statement comparing Urban Meyer to Tiger Woods. I felt that the host of the show dressed him down properly and came to me with an unrelated question. I wasn’t in the mood to get into a shouting match on national TV with a known Gator hater. In fact, when I found out Finebaum was on the segment I cautioned myself not to get into it with him.

In retrospect, I should have said something, but I’m hardly a TV guy. I was a bit nervous and exhausted from these trying four days. But I should have said something. Obviously, I’m not cut out for TV. The face should be enough of a reason.

This wasn’t a case of me not wanting to look like a homer. I was a little stunned by his statement and didn’t react properly to it.

I think all of you out there know how I feel about Urban and his family. We have an excellent relationship, which is why I should have come to his defense. It was just one of those things where hindsight is 20-20.

If you don’t like the fact that I said Florida is taking a big risk with this move or that it could hurt recruiting, well, that’s my opinion. It could also work out very well for UF. I hope it does. More than anything, I hope Urban finds some peace with whatever decision he makes.